Visiting museums can get expensive, particularly if you take the whole family, but many South Florida museums have free admission at least once a month, and some schedule special activities on those days. With these, you can actually afford to buy snacks or buy your kids a souvenir.
Here are the free museum days in Miami-Dade:
- Bass Museum of Art. IDEA@thebass is free for children and adults the last Sunday of every month, 2-4 p.m. Activities include art projects, scavenger hunts and prizes.
- HistoryMiami. Admission is free all day the second Saturday of the month. That’s Family Fun Day, with special activities for children all day.
- Lowe Art Museum. Admission is free on Donation Day, the first Tuesday of each month. A free gallery tour is at 1 p.m.
- Miami Children’s Museum. Free the third Friday of month from 3-9 p.m., with interactive activities and crafts. You can also explore hundreds of bilingual, interactive exhibits related to art, culture, community and communication. Also, once a month, the museum holds Sensory Saturdays for children with disabilities and reserves the museum from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Admission is offered at the reduced rate of $6. Preregistration is required by calling 305-373-5437 extension 126, or e-mailing email@example.com.
- Museum of Art + Design at Miami-Dade College. Admission is always free at this music at downtown Miami’s Freedom Tower. The third Thursday of every month, from noon to 5 p.m., the museum presents interactive art activities for children and family-friends tours at the GO GO MOA+D free event.
- Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science (formerly the Miami Science Museum). Closed until summer 2016, when it will reopen in downtown Miami.
- The Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami (MOCA). Galleries are open by donation the last Friday of every month from 7-10 p.m. with free jazz in the courtyard at 8 p.m. Jazz at MOCA is South Florida’s longest running free outdoor jazz concert series. Currently closed for reorganization.
- The Patricia and Phillip Frost Art Museum. This museum located at Florida International University’s Modesto Maidique campus is always free. One Wednesday of the month, there is a reception from 6-9 p.m. with a lecture and a chance to meet artists.
- Pérez Art Museum Miami (PAMM). (Formerly Miami Art Museum) Free admission the second Saturday of the month with activities for families from 1-4 p.m., including family-friendly tours and chances for children to create art. The museum also is free to visitors the first Thursday of every month, and there will be talks, performances and movie screenings on Thursday nights, when the museum is open until 9 p.m.
- Wolfsonian-FIU. Free every Friday from 6-9 p.m, often with films, talks and café drinks specials.
Library Museum Pass Program. The Miami-Dade Public Library System offers a chance to visit some of our best local museums and attractions for free. Visit your nearest branch library and get a museum pass with your library card. The Museum Pass offers visitors free admission for a family of four to the Deering Estate at Cutler, Fruit & Spice Park, HistoryMiami, Miami Children’s Museum, Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science, Pérez Art Museum Miami, Vizcaya Museum and Gardens and Zoo Miami.
Here are the free museum days in Broward:
- Coral Springs Museum of Art. Free every Wednesday
- Art and Culture Center of Hollywood. Free many third Sundays of the month, noon to 4 p.m.
- Plantation Historical Museum. Free entry, days and hours vary, 954-797-2722
In Miami-Dade, you can use your card for free admission to:
- Bass Museum of Art in Miami Beach
- Miami Children’s Museum
- Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science
- Museum of Contemporary Art in North Miami
- Pérez Art Museum Miami
In Broward, you can get one free admission to:
Free Museum Day Live!
Organized by the Smithsonian Museums, where admission is always free, this is a one day event where participating museums across the country offer free admission for two. Tickets are required and go on sale August 1st every year. 2015 Museum Day Live! happens on Saturday, September 26th.